Construction / tuning:
Building needs quite some time because of all the additional GFK rods
that need to be glued as support (specially on the wings). Almost 2
bottles of cyan glue were necessary to complete this plane. Some of it
sticked well to my own hands.
Although I thought that I will never use the rudder function of the V-tail I
did build in the 2nd servo due to weight concern (I purchased the
heavier tuning motor set with this plane). This resulted in some
undesired flight performance (see below).
Otherwise nothing special is to mention on the construction.
The only addition I made was to stick a strong table (white) at the
bottom on the fuselage from propeller to after the wings in order to
keep the belly free of dirt & scratches. The plane comes in for landing
quite quickly (despite the butterfly programme) and slithers for some
10 meters over the grass before it halts.
Another weakness is the fixing of the cabin hood, these have broken
already after a few open & closing cycles. As I could not remove the
glued in pin, and would have needed to buy a new hood, I decided to fix
it with a simple elastic band. It does not look too good, but it holds well.
As I knew that I will hardly dismantle the plane (it fits as build in the
trunk of my van) I also omitted the suggested electric auto-connection
between wings and fuselage.
The Blizzards first flight was surely an eye opener. It was my 3rd plane
after the EasyStar & EasyGlider. Performance in speed can not be
compared to any of the other two planes and vertical climbs with the
tuning version are possible. The whistling sound when flying over the
field is great (but also a sign of not ideal aerodynamics). I did not
experience some wing vibrations as some other pilots did (even in a
full nose dive). During the second flight I experience for the first time
the "undesired" results of the rudder/elevator: when pulled at high
speed the plane started to role instead of making a looping. Looking
this up at several forums in the internet I found out that I am not alone
with this. So somehow the two rudder throws at the V-tails are different.
Now that I know it, it is not a major problem, but at this 2nd flight I
should have performed a recovery maneuver, but it ended the field with
a somewhat spectacular role nose-dive. However due to the
sturdiness of the plane nothing major was broken, just the fuselage a
bit "squeezed" - which I could fix with some hot air gun and two
additional support rods of CFK which I glued in the fuselage.
Otherwise until today this plane is one of my favorites during harsh
conditions (winds of 50 km and more I have already successfully
Thermal flights are not that easy, as the Blizzard is fast and does not
like to be curved slow and tight. However it is possible if there is
enough strong thermal bubbles, this however is rather seldom at our
I will spend some time to further experiment with this plane to improve
aerodynamics in the future.
Nevertheless a fun plane.
Update: August 2011
The last flight done - in Germany. Not because of a crash, just because
the plane was too battered to keep up the looks. It was gutted and even
the wings I kept for a future project.
|All rights reserved by rcskyliner.com and its owner!