Construction / tuning:

The construction was actually very simple when following the supplied
excellent instruction manual - HOWEVER. there are two areas that
deserve special attention, care and patience for the modeller: 1 - the
installation of the wing CFC rods and its cover (here you have to use a
100 % flat work surface - otherwise you build in an automatic curve
function... :-)) 2 - the cable connection between the fuselage & wings
(where the automatic connection of the servo cables is happening).
The first one I did well, on the second one I let flow to much glue and
one of the connections became unusable. It took "ages" to get the
affected plug out of its nest (and only with collateral damages). So, be
careful! And that is also why I rated the construction for intermediate
pilots.
For protection of the foam belly I fixed additional strong-tape at the
bottom of the fuselage - this also explains the additional weight.
Note: the decals are from the Blizzard (Multiplex) as that plane got its
own colour scheme (and I did not like the supplied decals for the
Cularis).

Flight Experience:

The power provided by the standard motor set is absolutely enough.
The instruction also says, yous shall use a separate battery for the
receiver, however I used until now the BEC without problems. The
reaction of the ailerons is rather weak, but you get used to it (first I
programmed expo, but after a few flights I took it out). The Cularis likes
a bit of speed (higher then the EasyGlider) however it picks up thermal
immediately - helped by the flaps.
Regular flying time (without thermal influence) is around 25 - 30
minutes (= 5 to 6 climbs to point size) - with thermal soaring you will
find no time limit (only a stiff neck will tell you when to land).
Generally a great glider plane which is quickly build and easily
assembled at the flying field. I did not fly it yet on the slopes yet, but I
guess also there will be no issues with the Cularis.

Update - May 2010:
Mega crash at the start on a sunday afternoon! What happened: ... well,
I put together the plane at the field, but I did not observe that the
elevator was fastened outside of the guiding holes! And during the
servo test before start it seemed worked fined. But then, the plane went
straight to the ground after a strong throw. Result: broken of nose
(including motor), some havily damaged foam parts, and a bend motor
holder.
Back home I started to fix it and 1 hour later it was done. Now, the
beauty had to suffer as I used some additional tape to give the nose
more strength.
Following test flights during the week confirmed that the plane flies still
well.

Update - August 2010:
During a rainy weekend I decided to give the Cularis a new fuselage.
So I tramped to the local store (checked frist the availability of the
needed spare parts) and bought the fuselage. A few hours later the
plane was looking almost new. However this time around I did not fix
the automatic connections of the wing servos. This was already during
the first setup a bit "wobbly". So in the future I need these additional 3
minutes to hook up the servo cables at their place in the receiver.

Update - May 2011:
It was time to replace the battered Cularis - no, no, no crash, just
"over"-used and scratched from all these landings - actually I did not
even retire it, but just stored it in Graz, my home town, where I will still
use it for slope soaring.
Although I never managed to make a nice video about this great plane,
I decided to buy another Cularis - this time a RR-version
(ready-for-radio).
Well, the promise was, that nothing would need to be done, but wrong:

- fix the tail wing
- fix the wing servo covers - but before change all rods as they
were hung in the outer hole and were touching the cover!
- something is sliding inside of the right wing, but I could not
find out what (a piece of CFK ???)
- the right wing does not insert into the bridge - not at all - 15
minute scareful sanding the servo connectors made it slide in
perfectly.
- fix the motor & prop
- fix the BEC & receiver (for the receiver find the right cables ....)
- program the transmitter
- finally fix the stickers (and at the bottom of the wings three
bright red strips for better visability.
- decide to make the winglets removable (during flight fix them
with tape - in my case bright red, fitting to the colour scheme)
- and finally adopt the original box for easy transport!

All in all a good 6 hours work!

After the first flight I had to add some more weight in the tail for
achieving the right balance of the Cularis.

Update - July 2012: Go Pro Hero Camera installation
On top of the wings - right in the center of gravity I carved out a
small flat patch on the fuselage so that I could glue the
GoProHero Camera holder in place with lots of cyan glue!
See the first video on the right!














The pictures show the front viewing and back viewing installation of the
GoProHero camera.
RCSKYLINER.com
Site for radio controlled airplanes and more ...
NAME:
 
CULARIS
PRODUCER:
 
Multiplex
TYPE
  Foam (Elapor)
WING SPAN:
 
2610 mm
LENGTH:
 
1260 mm
WING AREA:
 
55,0 dm2
WEIGHT PER DM2
 
30,5 g/ dm2
WEIGHT (producer):
 
1400g (glider) / 1680 g (electric)
ACTUAL WEIGHT:
 
1695 g - electric version
MOTOR:
 
HIMAX 3522-0700 (brushless, outrunner)
MOTOR DATA:
  700 min/V / 162 g / 400 W / 29 A at 3 lipo
PROPELLER:
  12" x 8 " folding
BEC / CONTROLLER:
 
MultiCont BL-37 37 A
RECEIVER:
 
Futaba 2,4 GHz, 7 channel, R-617
BATTERY:
 
Lipo Ray, 3 cells, 3300 mA  
CHANNELS:
 
7 (2x ailerons, 2x flaps, 1x rudder, 1x
elevator, 1x motor)
SERVOS USED.
  wings: 4x Hitec HS 55
others: 2x Hitec HS 81  
RATING - BUILDING:
 
Intermediate
RATING - FLYING:
 
Advanced beginner - Intermediate
Sorry, no video available yet. Other videos you will find here!