RCSKYLINER.com
Site for radio controlled airplanes and more ...
NAME:
 
EASY STAR - The FOURTH Star
PRODUCER:
 
Multiplex
TYPE
  Foam (Elapor)
WING SPAN:
 
1370 mm
LENGTH:
 
917 mm
WING AREA:
 
24 dm2
WEIGHT PER DM2
 
29 g/ dm2
WEIGHT (producer):
 
680 g
ACTUAL WEIGHT:
 
635 g (with the 1600 mAH lipo)
MOTOR:
 
Himax 2212-1180
MOTOR DATA:
  brushless outrunner / 1180 rpm/v  /  33 g /
50 W / 8 A (Multiplex Merlin power set)
PROPELLER:
  folding 8" x 5"
BEC / CONTROLLER:
 
Multicont BL  20 A
RECEIVER:
 
Futaba 2,4 GHz, 7 channel, R-617
BATTERY:
 
3s Lipo Ray 1600 mAH or Nanoforce 2200
mA
CHANNELS:
 
5 (2x ailerons, 1x rudder, 1x elevator, 1x
motor)
SERVOS USED.
  Ailerons: 2x Hitec HS 65 MG
Rudder & Elevator: 2x Hitec HS 81
RATING - BUILDING:
 
This tuning: intermediate & pro
RATING - FLYING:
 
beginner - professional
The FORTH EasyStar - supposed to be a light star....

Construction / tuning:

This mod of the Easy Star had a goal to stay within the weight limits of
the producer and still add ailerons.
The idea came after I shredded one of my little Merlin - I gutted this plane
and when I ordered the Easy Star - white edition - I tried if the Merlin
motor holder (red plastic piece) would fit over the motor dome of the
Easy Star! It did! GREAT! Project approved!

The building of the ailerons I will not describe in details - please check
out the Easy Star 3 construction page -
click here!

Next I cut to fit and glued a piece of 12 mm dia carbon tube in the
fuselage to create a connection between the aileron servo cables (when
the wings are fixed into the fuselage) and the canopy. This helps to insert
and connect the aileron servos to the receiver.

To accommodate the three motor cables from the motor dome to the
canopy I had to deepen the pre-moulded cable shafts - for that I used a
soldering pen - and carefully widened the cable canal.

The motor extension cables were inserted and the fuselage parts were
glued together as per manual!

Now the motor holder was fixed on the motor dome with cyan glue and
kicker. You need to squeeze the red parts a bit together to make it fit, but
it works well.

Last but not least I had to carve out quite a bit from the foam underneath
of the propeller to give the prop enough freedom to spin (and fold) freely.
First I had the fear that the fuselage would be weekend, so I decided to
replace the lower antenna tube (at the bottom of the fuselage) with a
2mm x 2 mm square CFK rod! That is now strong enough!

All other parts of the plane were assembled as per manual.

The "Hungarian flag finish" was done by using self adhesive Oracover
stick foil - great product! To achieve best sticking results you need to
sand away the little production nipples left on the surfaces with 240 sand
paper! The long stripes was simple isolation tape form the hardware
store.

Total conversion - excluding decor - took approx. 4 hours.
All rights reserved by rcskyliner.com and its owner!
Flight Experience:

20th November 2011 - first flight (actually 6 flights altogether) completed.
I launched the ES - and it flew! Not fast, but very stable.
The motor setup is just right and looks cool!
The longest flight was 35 minutes with less then 1000 mAh recharged in
the lipo! Great performance and THE plane beside the Twin Star Styria
that will come along for the upcoming winter holidays.
Soon I will be able to post a video of this nice looking Easy Star!

Update April 2012 - setup for GoProHero Camera:

Now the ES 4 was prepared to carry my GoProHero2 full HD camera -
the holder was glued in place with ample of super-glue and a bit of foam
needed to be sanded away to make room so that I could properly slide
the camera into its holder.
The weight, but more the additional drag of the camera is almost too
much for the little motor. I might reconsider to put in another motor to give
more strength to the plane. We will see.

Below you see the plane with the fixed black holder for the GoProHero
camera on top of the wings:
Other videos you will find here!