Construction / tuning
Just a few hours of work to turn this kids glider into an RC Micro Plane.
1) marking of the balance point
glide the plane (like a little kid ... :-) ) and mark the balance point on the
underside of the wings - once it flies to your liking
2) Motor installation
Cut of the nose tip (3 cm in my case) - remember to cut in such a way
that the motor points slightly down to the right once installed - I cut the
non-scientific way: by eye measurement
Assemble the motor & prop
Fix the motor on its back mounting kit
Screw the motor to the fuselage
3) Canopy compartment
Carve out the canopy space for BEC & receiver
Connect the motor cable from the motor to the canopy - I cut from the
motor to the canopy, inserted the cables and glued back the surface.
The canopy top I attached with strong tape at the front and some velcro at
the back. That leaves a little space to allow air flowing and and out of the
compartment to allow cooling of the BEC.
4) Servo & RC installation
As I decided to omit ailerons, I inserted the servos in a cut out in the
fuselage just after the wings.
From the canopy drill a hole toward the servo cut outs to run the cables
The servos were fixed with a drop from the hot glue gun.
Next I fixed the BEC and receiver in the canopy compartment. I also
attached all cables to the receiver.
5) tail rudder installation
The rudder: I cut away a 2 cm wide rudder which I fixed on one side with
heavy duty tape (with additional cyan glue for extra fixing on the tape)
The elevator was equally cut away (2 cm in the center and 1,5 cm at the
wing tips). I reattached it to the elevator wing the same way as the rudder
Finally glue some ruder horns to the rudder surfaces in such a way that
the rods connect as straight as possible to the servos. In order to avoid
bending of the rods I inserted the into little tubes which I glued to the
fuselage for stabilization.
6) Lipo installation
now you can balance the plane by moving the lipo to the perfect position
in order to avoid extra weight! Here I got a surprise, as I originally planed
to have the battery placed into the canopy space - but I was wrong. Finally
I had to carve out a battery compartment just after the motor at the bottom
of the plane. The front I supported with extra strong tape (again helped
with glue) so that the lipo easily slides in and is held in place by the foam
at the back part.
Last but not least I had to make a little connection hole toward the
canopy to run the cable through.
Finally I painted the canopy blue...
... still to come ...
|All rights reserved by rcskyliner.com and its owner!