Construction / tuning:
Winter 2010 arrived - with snow and frozen lakes! Having been
fascinated by a colleague who took of his plane on floats from snow I
quickly rushed to a shop here in Budapest and purchased the plane
and the swimmer set! All the rest of the RC equipment I still had in
Opening the box I found the usual good quality foam parts - Elapor -
nicely wrapped in bubble foil. All complete and undamaged.
In the following points I deviated from the manual - which is complete
and well illustrated:
- from the beginning I installed the ailerons - the servos were installed in
the given servo bays (although I did not use the recommended Hitec
HS-55 servos, my Tower Pro servos fitted well, just the cables I needed
to extend, which I did with two extension cables. After the servos and the
extension was fixed with some drops of hot glue I hid the cables with
- I did not use the supplied brushed motor, but selected a (from the
Concorde left over) brushelss outrunner motor. The only result: the
supplied mount I could not use but had to make one myself from 3 mm
hard wood. This was necessary as the outrunner did not fit into the motor
mounts and I did not wanted to fix the motor from the back - so it would
stick out from the fuselage
In addition I had to carve out a bit from the left side of the fuselage to
make room for the motor cables with a Dremel
The wing & rods:
- When checking the wing rods - made from GFK - I found them rather
heavy and ... they were in two pieces held together with a plastic part.
Strange construction I thought, especially as the wing is molded in one
piece only! Well, I had the same dia CFK rod available, checked the
weight and found out that the CFK was 10 g lighter compared to the
supplied GFK rod. So I measured the length and installed the CFK rod in
one piece - without the connection part in the middle. And as a positive
side effect I was able to reduce the wings V by supporting the middle
section while gluing the CFK rod in place with super glue and activator
spray. Finally after all was dry and fixed I covered the CFK rod with white
Here I also deviated, as I found the overall construction rather "light" and
stability at touch and go maneuvers in the snow or on ice surely would
lead to damage. So I just glued additional 3 mm rods between the floats
in order to achieve more strength. As the following first flights have show
- successfully! The additional weight of approx. 15 g is nothing for the
It was the first sunny but cold Sunday after many weeks of bad weather.
So, having just finished the Minimag during this morning, I took it for a
spin! What a positive surprise....
Putting down the plane on its floats and driving a few rounds in the snow
(surprisingly agile on just the rudder steering) I increased power and ...
after 10 meters the Minimag lifted of. A few clicks high trim... and a bit to
the left... that was all! Great flying... great fun for winter.
Check out for yourself the onboard video of the Minimag! Even the
additional 57 g of the Flycamone V2 is not problem for this plane! Again I
have only positive marks to give to Multiplex! Well done!
|All rights reserved by rcskyliner.com and its owner!
|Other videos you will find here!