Construction / tuning:
First of course I bought the planes - 3 !!! kids planes... the shopowner was smiling... saying..."Again?"
The only additional equipment I needed to order was the motor -I choose a Robbe brushless outrunner with just 28 g and with
it a electric thin APC prop (size above). As servos I used some noname 8 gram servos I had still left from another plane.
Assembly of the wings:
Take two wings, but them on top of each other and straighten
them along eg. your table edge. Cut with a sharp knife through
both wings approx. 15 cm from the middle (why through both
wings? Because like this you get a 100 % matching cut between
Then glue both wings together with two drops of cyan glue
(ensure the wings are 100 % straight).
Then, with a soldering pen burn a trench from one wing tip to
he other - the trench to have the width of a CFK support rod
(in my case 1,5 mm dia). Now glue the CFK support rod in place
(with lots of glue and some activator spray).
The middle fuselage:
This fuselage will host in the future the motor, BEC and
battery as well as the receiver. First cut the fuselage approx.
2 cm from the end of the wings and one more time approx.
25 mm of the remaining tail (this small piece will become the
motor cover). Now with a short knife cut out the middle of the
motor cover so that the outrunner will turn freely in the space.
Then use a 10 mm dia aluminium tube as a cutting instrument
to make a hole from the back of the fuselage to the canopy area.
To ease this I sharpened first one side of the aluminium tube
by sanding in! In this hole the cables between motor and BEC will run.
Carefully drill the hole be turning the aluminium tube. Once you
have reached the canopy area, you can now carve out the space
for the battery , BEC and receiver.
In my case the receiver will find its place in the canopy itself, the
battery and BEC will be side by side in the fuselage under the
Also I left a small piece of the original canopy fixing (by moulded
elapor) as a future fixing. Lets see if this works, otherwise I
will need some magnets to hold the canopy in place during flight.
The elevator wing:
This installatiion is a bit more tricky as the original ones do not fit anymore, so I decided to connect both elevator wings with a 3 mm CFC rod that also serves as
distance stabilizer between the two outer fuselages and as a "hinge" for the balsa elevator ruder. The rudder was fixed with yellow scotch tape from top and
The side fuselages & Aileron Servos & Ailerons:
Under the wing whole near the end of the wing I cut out a space for the aileron servos (in both outer fuselages) with the servo facing towards to outer wings (and
the cable being run through a little hole to the inside of the fuselage. Both servos were fixed with a drop of hot glue.
The aileron servo cable was run on the bottom of the inner wings (held in place by tape) towards the main fuselage.
Next the ailerons were cut out from 3 mm depron (19 cm long & 2 cm wide) and fixed to the wings by the same yellow scotch tape as the elevator. As a rudder horn
I used an old servo arm, glued in place with a drop of 5 min 2 component epoxy. A 1 mm steel rod served as a connection between the servo and the rudder.
.... more to follow...
Still to come after construction