Construction / tuning:

Winter 2010 arrived - with snow and frozen lakes! Having been
fascinated by a colleague who took of his plane on floats from snow I
quickly rushed to a shop here in Budapest and purchased the plane
and the swimmer set! All the rest of the RC equipment I still had in
stock!

Opening the box I found the usual good quality foam parts - Elapor -
nicely wrapped in bubble foil. All complete and undamaged.

In the following points I deviated from the manual - which is complete
and well illustrated:

The ailerons:
- from the beginning I installed the ailerons - the servos were installed in
the given servo bays (although I did not use the recommended Hitec
HS-55 servos, my Tower Pro servos fitted well, just the cables I needed
to extend, which I did with two extension cables. After the servos and the
extension was fixed with some drops of hot glue I hid the cables with
white tape.

Motor installation:
- I did not use the supplied brushed motor, but selected a (from the
Concorde left over) brushelss outrunner motor. The only result: the
supplied mount I could not use but had to make one myself from 3 mm
hard wood. This was necessary as the outrunner did not fit into the motor
mounts and I did not wanted to fix the motor from the back - so it would
stick out from the fuselage
In addition I had to carve out a bit from the left side of the fuselage to
make room for the motor cables with a Dremel

The wing & rods:
- When checking the wing rods - made from GFK - I found them rather
heavy and ... they were in two pieces held together with a plastic part.
Strange construction I thought, especially as the wing is molded in one
piece only! Well, I had the same dia CFK rod available, checked the
weight and found out that the CFK was 10 g lighter compared to the
supplied GFK rod. So I measured the length and installed the CFK rod in
one piece - without the connection part in the middle. And as a positive
side effect I was able to reduce the wings V by supporting the middle
section while gluing the CFK rod in place with super glue and activator
spray. Finally after all was dry and fixed I covered the CFK rod with white
tape.

The floats:
Here I also deviated, as I found the overall construction rather "light" and
stability at touch and go maneuvers in the snow or on ice surely would
lead to damage. So I just glued additional 3 mm rods between the floats
in order to achieve more strength. As the following first flights have show
- successfully! The additional weight of approx. 15 g is nothing for the
Minimag!


Flight Experience:

It was the first sunny but cold Sunday after many weeks of bad weather.
So, having just finished the Minimag during this morning, I took it for a
spin! What a positive surprise....
Putting down the plane on its floats and driving a few rounds in the snow
(surprisingly agile on just the rudder steering) I increased power
and ... after 10 meters the Minimag lifted of. A few clicks high trim...
and a bit to the left... that was all! Great flying... great fun for winter.

Check out for yourself the onboard video of the Minimag! Even the
additional 57 g of the Flycamone V2 is not problem for this plane!
Again I have only positive marks to give to Multiplex! Well done!

Update: June 2012 - GoProHero installed

The little Minimag was now prepared to carry a GoProHero 2
camera -  but as seen in the video on the side - the plane really
struggled with the additional weight of the camera in its dive - &
protection box. BUT ... it was good that there was this additional
box around this camera - check out for yourself....

Update: Repair of wing damage

Follow these simple steps for all damages to foam wings...
RCSKYLINER.com
Site for radio controlled airplanes and more ...
NAME:
 
MINIMAG - brushless hydro plane mod
PRODUCER:
 
Multiplex
TYPE
  Foam (Elapor)
WING SPAN:
 
1010 mm
LENGTH:
 
820 mm
WING AREA:
 
??? dm2
WEIGHT PER DM2
 
26 g / dm2
WEIGHT (producer):
 
580 g
ACTUAL WEIGHT:
 
???
MOTOR:
 
Fusion 2826/09
MOTOR DATA:
  Brushless outrunner, 28 mm dia, 48 g, 1820
kv, 12 A
PROPELLER:
  Master Airscrew 3-blade 8" x 6" on 2 cell Lipo
BEC / CONTROLLER:
 
Robbe Roxxy BL Control 720, 20 A
RECEIVER:
 
Futaba 2,4 GHz, 6 channel, R-6106 HFC
BATTERY:
 
Lipo Ray, 2 cells, 2200 mA, 25 c
CHANNELS:
 
5 (2x ailerons, elevator, rudder, motor)
SERVOS USED.
  all:: 4 x Tower Pro  (9g servos)
RATING - BUILDING:
 
Beginner
RATING - FLYING:
 
Beginner - Intermediate
All rights reserved by rcskyliner.com and its owner!
Other videos you will find here!
The quick field fix with strong tape! The plane
                                               flew with this!
The nasty damage by
a tree branch ...
Cut out the damaged part with a sharp cutter
Have a piece of EPO or other
similar foam as the wing ready
Mark the outline of the damage
on this piece of foam
Sand and carve the foam piece until it
fits smoothly into the cut out wing part
Now cut away with a very sharp knife the
foam to fit the wing surface
Now glue it in place with a foam safe glue
Sand until the piece fits smoothly to the wing
surface! ... finished ... and good as new!
View the Minimag hydro plane page - click here!